Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hi, my name is...

So last week when I started this blog I got off on a bit of a rant about Fast Food. Well I thought I'd give a little insight to who I am this week, and also touch on a few current events.

Who am I? Well I am Greg Scott Bailey, a comic book artist from the Seattle/Tacoma area of Washington State, USA. And by comic book artist I mean that I create, draw, some times ink, computer color and letter comic book art. I've focused on a wide variety of the comic book field as far as creating comics go, but because of that I don't have a really strong grasp on one specific area of comics. I can draw people, but my anatomy needs work. I can color, but I have a hard time understanding lighting and color theory. And as far as creating.... well I have a butt load of stories in my head and I've barely been able to start writing a lot of it down.

I want to create a world just like Tolkien did with Lord of the Rings (and other books mind you). Or even when you read a Marvel comic, you can read about the Fantastic Four in their book, and hear about what they did in a Spider-man or X-men book too. The continuity and the intermixed universe of characters has always intrigued me and I think of it every day when I think of my comic book, Mocktales.

So what do I do? Several times over the years I've tried to look for other artists and writers to help with the project. I've received submissions from some decent artists. Some that have probably surpassed me now and are going to be getting steady work in the industry, there is no doubt there. But I hesitate to accept anyone because its hard to let any creative control go. I want to do everything because I have yet to find an artist who can draw my characters in a comfortable fashion that I can deal with. However, this isn't any one person's fault but my own because I've barely let anyone see what my designs are. So how the hell can they work off my designs right? *laughs* Well the more I work on my Ego and my stubbornness, the easier it has been to accept that I will have to let some of the creative control go. BUT... not all of course. So again, what do I do? Do I try to become one of these artist in the world that people walk around saying, "Oh, he's an artist. He's allowed to be weird," and make my fame that way? Or do I become a commercial artist and do what the masses want so I can make a big paycheck?

Movies? TV shows? Animation? Hell, I want Mocktales to be anything. Action figures and T-Shirts. But why do I want this? Is it again, my ego? Am I still a child and wish to fullfill some George Lucas fantasy by turning my creation into a marketing empire? With three kids and a wife who doesn't work, selling out to a corporate entity wouldn't be too hard for me right now if the numbers on the check were pleasing. I'd say they have to have at least 6 zero's before the decimal point, US Dollars please. Thank you.

No comments: