Monday, April 11, 2011

Public Transportation Girls

So an interesting thought entered my brain as I was on the bus home from work yesterday. But I'll get to that in a moment...

Since my truck is essentially toast (transmission is almost ready to crash and burn), I have been getting rides from my girlfriend and using the bus to get to work. This has been a radical change for me, as I have always been used to driving myself places for the past 16 years. Since using the bus, I have felt like I have been dodging a cold almost every week. While the Sound Transit buses are fairly clean and comfortable, the Seattle Metro buses have, on occasion, smelled like pee and always have someone weird sitting up front right on your left after you pay, almost as if they want you to trip over them and purposely cause a problem. This isn't every bus ride, but seems to be frequent enough. But even still, I do enjoy the fact that public transportation is available. I have met some really nice drivers and had good conversations. And regardless of the condition of the buses, these drivers do seem to put up with a lot in order to get people places, drive through narrow streets with extra long vehicles, and do all this on a fairly decent timetable.

I love to drive. I am also an arrogant driver. While I may have seem timid about everything else in life, I honestly feel that I am very proficient in driving and that other people on the roads are idiots. What this means then, is that when other people are driving me around to places, I am uncomfortable for at least the first few drives before I can finally let my guard down. Sometimes longer. I feel that I see things that they don't, and I may scoff or jerk in my seat because I naturally feel I would have reacted faster or differently. And from what I'm told, I'm not the only one that feels this way. So now that I am without a vehicle, I do actually find myself letting my guard down a bit more and putting a lot more faith in other drivers (that I am being driven by). I still think people are idiots for not knowing how to use 4-way stops.

So back to girls on public transportation; Last night I was riding home on the bus and I sat in one of those seats that faces sideways looking towards the other side at other passengers. This was a full bus leaving Seattle for North Seattle. And right across from me were three attractive girls, roughly early 20's, two of them with really nice legs. To my right view, in an attempt to look out the window past the middle accordion-looking connection piece, was two more attractive girls, also early 20's, and then to my left view was an extremely attractive late 20's business girl with nice legs as well. While I honestly don't want to sound like I'm complaining with the over abundance of attractive women on the bus, but I actually was tired and just wanted to rest until my stop. But I couldn't find a comfortable spot to just face and look. Every angle was covered and I didn't want these girls thinking I was staring at them. I'm confident in my life right now that if I find a girl attractive, I'll smile and make conversation. But last night I was just tired. The only option, close my eyes. BUT, if I fell asleep I might miss my stop. What a situation!! But, alas I made it through without a scratch. And in the end, the three girls in front of me smiled at me as they left, which almost made me feel like they knew what I was going through.

All you girls know guys go through this don't you? Don't lie... *laughs*

2 comments:

Joshua A. Laff said...

On bus cleanliness... They are less clean than you think. Each night, a giant blower is placed at the rear door, the front door is opened, and everything gets blown out the front. Obvious garbage is picked up, and periodically the bus is more "thoroughly" washed, though I don't know the standards and I don't think it's more often than every couple of weeks at best.

On where to look... wear sunglasses.

Karyudo said...

Just stare blankly, they'll only think you're a creep for about 20 minutes after you leave and then they'll forget you...till they see you the next day. Oops.