Sunday, June 29, 2008

Feeling a bit selfish: RIP Michael Turner

So I took a week to cool off a bit. Clear my head and get some things into perspective. This weekend is my first official change over to day shift at work, so it feels really good to get some sleep and be awake when my family wants to have me close by.

The hardest hitting topic for me right now... the passing of Michael Turner (Fathom, Witchblade, Aspen Comics). A brilliant comic book artist who was not only battling cancer, but continued to enjoy the things he loved in life AND draw comic books on a regular basis.

I'm feeling a bit selfish now. Complaining about how tough life has been for me. While I won't take any of that back, I can still do better. Michael Turner did his best. Why can't I?

I went to my boffer group (Padded weapon fighting) Saturday fully rested and energetic. The heat got up to 88 degrees by mid-day, and I was running around in boots having a great time. I felt good. I FEEL good now. All this season I had been slowly walking around the field, maybe hitting a person every 5 or 6 battles. No energy. Barely any running. And by the end of the day I would be so zoned out, I'm surprised when I get home and I hadn't driven off the road. Amazing what the proper amount of sleep can do for you.

Maybe this is a new weekend. A new week. A new day. Right here and now, I can stand up for what I want in life. Live MY life to it's fullest. Do everything that I have ever wanted to do, and tell people to "Fuck Off!" when they tell me I can't.

Day 1... starts here

No comments: